How do I become a volunteer mentor for BBBS?
- Contact Big Brothers Big Sisters (BBBS) at #248-2229 to set up an appointment with our enrollment specialist.
- Meet with our enrollment specialist to tell us about yourself and to review your application.
- We then conduct a background check and contact your references.
- We arrange a meeting where you and the child’s parent or guardian have the opportunity to meet. If both you and the parent or guardian feel comfortable after the meeting, the child will be invited to the next appointment.
- At the next appointment, you and the child are introduced, and go on a short “getting to know you” outing lasting approximately twenty minutes.
Match Support & Communication
Each month, a BBBS staff member corresponds with all parties to make sure things are going well. Volunteers (“Bigs”) are encouraged to communicate openly with their Little, their Little’s parents, and BBBS staff.
How much time does the Big spend with the Little?
We ask that you spend four to eight hours a month with the Little. We hope that matches develop into long-lasting friendships.
What cost is involved?
There is no cost for participating in our program. Some outings you choose to do may cost money. Our ground rules state that parents are responsible for providing their child with adequate funds for mutually agreed upon outings. To assist with this, we have established a two-for-one program with several supportive area businesses where the Big pays and the Little is allowed to participate at no cost.
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Students attending college need to have completed at least 1 year of course work before applying
- Must pass a background check
- Visit and have fun with a Little for a minimum of 4-8 hours/month
- Provide consistent companionship for at least 1 year
- Maintain regular contact with program staff
- Have the ability and desire to work with a child
- Help strengthen children, families and your community
Why am I waiting?
We have no idea! Download an application HERE!
Joelle Clause, Community Program Specialist
#248-2229 or email@example.com